The Future of Work, Small and Independent Businesss
Our 2015 research continues to be focused on the future of work and the workplace, and what it means for small and micro businesses and independent workers (freelancers, independent consultants, etc.).
This is a broad topic and this year's deeper research dives include:
1. The Independent Worker: We are conducting a range of research activities on independent workers (freelancers, consultants, temps, etc.) in 2015. We are again partnering with MBO Partners on the 5th annual State of Independence survey and study. The 2014 study is available here.
We'll be conducting a series of workshops, roundtables and focus groups on the growing role independent workers are playing in the U.S. and global economies. We'll also be looking deeper at low and moderate income (LMI) independent workers in 2015.
2. The On-Demand Economy: We're continuing research started in 2014 with Intuit on the On-Demand Economy (ODE) with a focus on better understanding the attitudes and motivations of those working in ODE jobs.
3. Economic Uncertainty: We will be examining how economic uncertainty is impacting decision making related to employment, with a focus on how uncertainty is leading to growing numbers of independent workers and side gigs.
4. Coworking: Our 2015 coworking related research will focus on how coworking facilities enhance and expand member networks and business opportunities. We will fielding several surveys and conducting workshops on round tables on these topics.
5. Cities, New Localism and Freelancers: Social, demographic and technology trends are driving a rediscovery of local communities and all things local. We will continue examining how the new localism trend is impacting where and how we work. We'll also be looking at how cities can encourage and support independent workers and how they impact local economies.
6. Small and Artisan Manufacturing: We will continue our ongoing research on small and artisan manufacturing examining how new technologies, business models and marketing methods are impacting this sector.